As part of its inquiry into emergency healthcare, the NI Human Rights Commission has today announced the locations for a series of public hearings to take place in the autumn.
The Commission will be calling the Minister for Health, Social Services and Public Safety and other public officials to give evidence before the Inquiry.
We will also be inviting members of the public to give evidence at the hearings. We encourage patients, family members, health care staff and representatives in the sector to share their experiences with us by calling our Freephone line (0800 028 6066) or via the NIHRC website (nihrc.org/inquiry). Phonelines are open Monday to Friday, 10am to 3pm until the 20th June. Evidence can also be submitted on our website until 30th June.
Members of the public are welcome to attend the hearings to observe. The locations are:
• Thursday 4th September: Belfast
• Friday 5th September: Belfast
• Monday 8th September: Bangor
• Tuesday 9th September: Downpatrick
• Wednesday 10th September: Newry
• Monday 15th September: Armagh
• Tuesday 16th September: Ballymena
• Thursday 25th September: Coleraine
• Friday 26th September: Derry/Londonderry
• Tuesday 7th October: Omagh
• Wednesday 8th October: Enniskillen
• Monday 20th October: Belfast
Times and venues will be announced in the coming weeks.
NIHRC Interim Chair, John Corey said:
“The public hearings are a key part of the Inquiry. This is where public officials will be called to give evidence in an open, transparent manner, and where members of the public and healthcare staff can share their experiences with the Inquiry.
“Members of the press are also encouraged to attend.”
The Commission will publish its final report and recommendations to the Northern Ireland Executive in April 2015.
For further information please contact Alice Neeson on: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0771 7731873 (mobile).
Notes to editors
1. The Northern Ireland Human Rights Commission is an independent statutory body first proposed in the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement (1998) and established in 1999 by the Northern Ireland Act (1998). It is answerable to Parliament at Westminster
2. Media will be welcome to attend public hearings. Please contact Press at NIHRC for more details: 028 90 243987, option 4
09 Jun 2014